Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 13 Jan 10 at 22:34 PM


Newcastle United 3
Lovenkrands 10, 40, 72

Argyle 0

ARGYLE'S FA Cup campaign came to a magnificent end as Newcastle put three past them without reply at St James' Park.

The Magpies, who will surely be a Premier Leaguer side next season, played some wonderful football at times, thanks in no small part to the inspirational Jonas Guttierrz who supplied team-mate Peter Lovenkrands with some fantastic service for his hat-trick.

However, Argyle were by no means poor. They battled hard with some great performances, particularly from Ashley Barnes and Luke Summerfield who desperately tried to plug the holes in a sinking ship.

Argyle Head Coach Paul Mariner and his team boarded the plane at Plymouth with only one fully-fit centre-back in the form of Chris Barker. Kári Árnason, who had taken a knock in training on Monday had travelled and was thankfully declared fit to play.

Therefore, the only change came up front where the flu-ridden Jamie Mackie was replaced by Barnes in the Pilgrims' first game since they faced Newcastle in the original tie 11 days previously.

Notable subs included Bradley Wright-Phillips, the summer signing who is still waiting for his first competitive start, and Cillian Sheridan, who returns to Celtic on Thursday.

Newcastle, who also had their weekend Championship fixture against Reading postponed, made several changes, bringing back Kevin Nolan, Jose Enrique, Andrew Carroll and Peter Lovenkrands to the starting line-up.

Argyle were out the box quickly so quickly that they took Newcastle by surprise when Alan Judge's bombing run from the kick-off only just came to an end on the edge of the penalty area.

After a great spell of possession in the opposition half, Argyle created their best chance after just seven minutes when Barnes dispossessed Enrique on the bye-line and then made for the box.

Looking up, he played a smart ball to Rory Fallon, who, instead of shooting, left it for Summerfield, who could not quite get to it before Steven Taylor's clearance.

As is often the way after a fruitless spell of pressure, Newcastle took the lead soon after with a goal straight out of the text-book. Gutierrez picked up the ball on the left, turned Karl Duguid this way and that, before playing a slide-rule pass to Lovenkrands whose great finish evaded Romain Larrieu at his near post.

Argyle were adamant that this was not going to be a walkover, though, and Carl Fletcher, then Summerfield had cracks from distance that were both dealt with by Tim Krul in the Newcastle goal.

Gutierrez was proving to be the thorn in Argyle's side and he again weaved his trickery, breaking down the left-hand side before being seen out by Árnason.

Newcastle were beginning to look very tasty and again Lovenkrands combined with Gutierrez for a chance that was eventually cleared by Summerfield.

Argyle had a few more efforts from distance and looked like making it to half-time trailing by just one goal but it was not to be when Lovenkrands doubled his side's lead with a bullet header from inside the six-yard box.

Although the score at half-time reflected Newcastle's dominance, Argyle had been far from poor, but simply treated to a Gutierrez-Lovenkrands masterclass.

Argyle emerged from the second-half unchanged and Barnes threatened from long range. Summerfield was at it again soon after, ending a lovely passing move with a strike that Krul had to parry before gobbling up.

With an hour gone, Mariner introduced Sheridan and Wright-Phillips to the attack in a bid to spice things up. It almost paid off too when, thanks to a Wright-Phillips run, Fallon was able to lose his marker and hold the ball up for Duguid.

Duguid in turn fed Fletcher into the area but, even at full stretch, the captain could not do enough to trouble Krul.

That chance sparked off a five-minute spell in which Argyle had a good dose of pressure, culminating in a lovely floating Gary Sawyer cross that Fallon could not quite latch on to.

Then, with 18 minutes to go, Newcastle ended the tie when Lovenkrands picked up his hat-trick from close range. In a goalmouth scramble, Argyle looked to have it away before that man Gutierrez again crossed for Nolan to play in Lovenkrands, who poked home.

Things soon got worse for Argyle when a wincing Chris Barker was replaced by David McNamee and led straight down the tunnel by physio Claire Taylor.

Enrique, Gutierrez and substitute Nile Ranger all had chances to score as Newcastle cruised out the tie to earn their place against West Brom at the Hawthorns on January 23.

Chris Parsons

Newcastle United (4-4-2): 26 Tim Krul; 16 Ryan Taylor, 2 Fabricio Coloccini, 27 Steven Taylor, 3 Joe Enrique; 21 Fabice Pancrate (8 Danny Guthrie 70), 22 Nicky Butt (capt, 30 Nile Ranger 75), 4 Kevin Nolan, 16 Jonas Gutierrez; 24 Andrew Carroll, 11 Peter Lovenkrands (42 Ryan Donaldson 88). Substitutes: 1 Steve Harper (gk), 23 Shola Ameobi, 35 Ben Tozer, 41 Shane Ferguson.

Argyle (4-4-2): 1 Romain Larrieu; 2 Karl Duguid, 15 Chris Barker (16 David McNamee 76), 11 Kári Árnason, 18 Gary Sawyer; 25 Alan Judge (21 Cillian Sheridan 59), 20 Luke Summerfield, 4 Carl Fletcher (capt), 6 Chris Clark; 14 Rory Fallon, 24 Ashley Barnes (10 Bradley Wright-Phillips 59). Substitutes (not used): 17 Craig Noone, 26 Alan Gow, 27 Lloyd Saxton (gk), 31 Yoann Folly.

Referee: Andy D'Urso (Essex)

Attendance: 15, 805.

    Latest Match Reports