THE 2015-16 football season will kick off on August 8 and 9, the Football League have announced.It will conclude on the weekend of May 7 and 8, with the play-off finals taking place over the traditional May Bank Holiday weekend.
2015-16 Season Key Dates:
• August 8/9 – Sky Bet Football League season kicks-off
• w/c Aug 10 – Capital One Cup Round 1
• w/c Aug 31 – Football League Trophy Round 1
• Dec 26, 28 and Jan 2 – Festive fixture programme
• February 28 – Capital One Cup Final
• April 3 – Football League Trophy Final
• May 7/8 – Sky Bet Football League season concludes
• May 28 – Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Final
• May 29 – Sky Bet League 1 Play-Off Final
• May 30 – Sky Bet League 2 Play-Off Final
This season, all three divisions of the Sky Bet Football League will conclude at different times across the final weekend (May 2/3) of the 2014-15 season giving each competition its own share of the footballing spotlight.
The final weekend will begin with the climax of the Sky Bet Championship season at 12.15pm on Saturday, May 2 and is followed later that day by the end of the Sky Bet League 2 season at 3.00pm. The last day of the Sky Bet League 1 season will take place the following day, Sunday May 3, with matches kicking off at 12.15pm.
Additionally, The Football League is to introduce the use of vanishing foam by referees into its competitions from January 1, 2015 following a successful trial in the early rounds of this season's Johnstone's Paint Trophy. Having received positive feedback from clubs, referees and supporters, The League has instructed the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) to begin using the product in all matches played in the Sky Bet Football League, Capital One Cup and Johnstone's Paint Trophy from the mid-point of the current campaign.