About The Wider Development
Please click here to view the consultation display boards to learn more about this hugely exciting project.
Argyle, the Argyle Community Trust, Plymouth City Council, Plymouth Albion RFC and Devonport Community Leisure Ltd (DCLL) have struck a deal which will see £21m invested in rejuvenating the under-utilised Brickfields site in Devonport, with a focus on community health, wellbeing, and raising aspirations.
As part of the plans, Argyle will provide an eight-figure investment towards the project, which will see wholesale redevelopment of Brickfields to install superb facilities for our ambitious youth Academy, including a covered pitch and other amenities which are of the standard required to apply for Category 2 status in the future.
Further detail on the site’s future layout will be revealed in due course, but the initial agreement operates on the principle that the Academy centre will include:
- An improved suite of playing pitches including three grass football pitches, and replacing an existing grass rugby training pitch with a new 3G pitch
- A new purpose-built Academy building, including classrooms for scholars, office space for Academy staff, changing rooms, a gym, and a parents’ lounge
- A new floodlit 3G football pitch to replace a poor condition (currently closed) hockey pitch
- A new, covered 3G football pitch
- Conversion of the existing 60m x 40m rubber crumb pitch to two PlayZones exclusively for public use
- Better site access, public realm and parking
- Opening up the site for community paths
This project is not just about finding a home for our Academy, though. The partnership with Plymouth City Council, Plymouth Albion RFC, DCLL and other grass-roots sports clubs will see Argyle further its community status with the development of a new community hub on the site, operated by the Argyle Community Trust.
The site will also become the permanent home of the Argyle Women’s first-team.
Argyle Community Trust (ACT) has developed a vision which considers the feedback and consultation of key stakeholders and the communities within Devonport and Stonehouse with the aim of developing an awe-inspiring, inspirational new community hub.