Painting The Town Green

IT rather goes without saying that Carl Fletcher would be pleased with a 2-1 home victory over Aldershot Town that sees Argyle through...

...into the fourth round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy. Of course he would be; we did win, after all.

More than simply the result, though, the gaffer explained that he was most satisfied by the attitude shown by his somewhat patchwork side as they stuck doggedly to their task against a near full-strength Aldershot outfit.

“We’re really pleased - we had a really young side out,” said Fletch.

“I was really pleased for the lads, because we had a game plan. I think the first time we stuck to it, we scored the goal.

“It was pleasing, the way they stuck at it. They are a big, physical side, Aldershot, with a lot of tall players in there. We didn’t have many.

“I was really pleased with the start. We knew they were going to come out a little bit and we were definitely to be under pressure at times, but I thought the lads worked their socks off when it was so easy for this game to drift by and for us to get nothing out of it.

“I was pleased with the way they applied themselves to tonight’s game. It would be easy to take your foot off the pedal, but I’m pleased they didn’t.

“It’s pleasing as a manager, and it should be pleasing as a fan, to see people working so hard for the club, rather than just strolling about.

“It wasn’t against an under-strength side. It was a proper game with some really experienced players who play week in, week out in this league.”

Eye-catching amongst the boys in green were Joe Lennox and Paris Cowan-Hall. Playing either side of central striker Nick Chadwick, the pacey widemen combined after just 33 seconds to put Argyle in front, with Paris nudging home Joe’s dangerous cross.

Lennox also teed up Andres Gurrieri for Argyle’s second, which ultimately proved to be the winning goal, and was later voted man of the match.

Cowan-Hall was replaced by Jared Sims at half-time as a precaution, but had chances to add to his tally during a lively display.

Carl said of them: “[Joe] tired in the second half, but, if you can get him the ball, he’s likely to do that. We got him the ball, I think, four times in the first half and scored twice from it. After about 25 minutes, he took their left back off.

“I was pleased for Joe. And I was pleased for Paris as well. I was disappointed I had to change it at half time, but he had a bit of a tight hammy and I didn’t want to risk him. He was a threat on the left.”