Swindon Ladies 1 Argyle Ladies 2

ARGYLE'S ladies got back to winning ways with a 2-12 victory over Westcountry rivals Swindon Town.

With regular goalkeeper Nicky Lipscombe unavailable and the club awaiting international clearance for Michaela Phillips, manager Kev Rose was forced to play midfielder Laura Perrett in goal.

There was also a starting place for midfielder Steff Beck and Rachel Javan was made captain for the day in the absence of Katie Middleton.

The match began with Argyle playing up a slight slope, trying to take the game to the home side at every opportunity.

Playing as a lone striker, Emily Mousley created the Pilgrims' first chance, shoting just wide after racing through the home defence.

A few minutes later, she turned provider, putting in a fine cross for Ellie Dorey to touch just wide.

There was a good rhythm to the game with both sides playing attractive flowing football whenever possible but neither side could create a real opportunity.

Perrett was largely untroubled in goal as the home side's efforts were largely high or wide of the mark. 

At times, the Argyle midfield were combining well with Becca Rose and Jodie Chubb in the thick of the action. The pace of Chloe Bassett and Tash Knapman in wide areas kept the home defence at full stretch, with last ditch tackles often the order of the day.

Argyle had a big shout for a penalty in the 38th minute following a Dorey corner kick, but the referee waved away their appeals and the half-time break arrived with no goals on the board.

Just two minutes into the second half, Argyle got their reward.

The Swindon defence only partially cleared the ball and full back Rachel Javan was on hand to power a looping left foot shot from 25 yards high into the home goal and out of reach of the keeper to record her first for the season.

The play was now end to end as Swindon sought an equaliser and from a corner, a headed effort struck the Argyle bar. Perrett was then called into action to save another headed attempt.

Just after the hour, Knapman was replaced by teenager Sarah Stacey  and shortly after the Greens were two up when Beck took a shot from 30 yards and found the corner of the net, via a slight deflection, to record her first goal.

The home side came back strongly and within a couple of minutes had pulled a goal back after Argyle failed to get the ball away - the home forward firing home a crisp shot from eight yards.

Argyle were now coming under some pressure and Ellie Dorey gave way to Alex Hugh to bolster the defence for the final fifteen minutes.

Pressure was relieved temporarily when a long ball put Mousley through, but with defenders snapping at her heels, she shot just wide of the 'keeper's left post.

Emily, who had worked hard up front all afternoon gave way to Eden May for the final few tense minutes, and the visitors were glad to hear the final whistle.

For the neutral observer this was an excellent contest between two teams fully committed to their cause and played with pace and skill - a good advert for the women's game.

There were several good performances and candidates for POM, and this week it is awarded to Laura Perrett.

As a comparative novice between the posts, she showed good judgement and a safe pair of hands when called upon.