Head Boy

LEWI Alessandra used his head – for a change – to keep his fantastic cup scoring spree going.

The Argyle forward got his forehead to a cross by Luke Young to claim the third goal in the Pilgrims’ 3-1 home victory over Welling United in the second round of the FA Cup with Budweiser.

Incredibly, as Lewi’s goal celebrations nodded towards, it was something of a rarity.

“It was my first headed goal in professional football,” he said. “That’s why I slid on my knees, pointing to my head. Being of average height, I don’t get many in the air. It was nice.

“It was a good ball in by Youngy. I just got across my man. I was half expecting to get one in the face off the ’keeper, to be honest. I just put my head in there and was delighted to see [the ball] fly into the side netting.”

Although the goal was a career first, the game was the fourth of Argyle’s six cup matches this season in which Lewi has scored: two against Birmingham in the Capital One Cup; one at Cheltenham in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy; and another (which should have been another two) in the previous FA Cup match at home to Lincoln City.

“I seem to like the cups,” he said. “I would like to score more in the league but, if I’m scoring, I’m happy. There will be a time when we are just playing league games so, if I continue to score at the rate I am, my league tally will grow and grow. Hopefully, that will be the case.

“I think I’ve only played five, maybe six, games up front. I’ve played the majority of games out wide on the wing. It’s not too bad – it’s more than I scored last season, playing from a wide position.

“To be at this stage in December is pleasing. I have got my own targets. I’ve not quite hit my first one yet but, once I hit that, I’ll reassess.”

The goal came after two strikes in the preceding 10 minutes from Andres Gurrieri and Curtis Nelson that set the Pilgrims on their way to the third round.

The margin was reduced by Welling striker Ross Lafayette early in a second half during which Argyle eased off and allowed their Skrill Conference opponents back into the game.

“We said that, if we got off to a good start, it would force [Welling] to come out a bit more and then the game’s a bit more open,” said Lewi.

“So, when Andy put the first one in, we were delighted. Then, to get a second and third, really helped us on our way. In the end, it was probably a good job we were three up because it might have been a bit more nervy in the second half.

“We knew that, with nothing to lose [Welling] were going to come out flying and they were the better team in the second half.

“The potential prize was massive, maybe even more so for them. We knew that and we’re happy to get through to the next round.”