Disability Cup Champions

ARGYLE have lifted the inaugural FA Disability Cup after an emphatic 7-0 win over Boston United.

Beating Exeter and Living4Life FC on the way to the final, the Pilgrims were victorious at St George's Park, adding further national success to seven-a-side trophies won in 2008 and 2009.

Graham Eyles, Argyle Disability Manager, was understandably delighted to have reached the top of the national tree.

He said: "I am immensely proud of the boys for what they have achieved, not just on behalf of themselves and the club, but for disability football in the south west as a whole.

"They have been truly remarkable throughout this cup run and each and every one of them have done the club proud.

"I'd like to thank the Green Taverners for the their unwavering support and also Western Electrical and C&G Catering for their sponsorship and support.

"The club have backed us to the hilt, too, and I'm pleased to have repaid that faith with a trophy."

The Pilgrims left Plymouth for St George's Park at 6.30am on Sunday and, after a four-and-a-half hour bus journey, arrived at the new National Football Centre.

After a quick look around the multi-million pound facility, the boys began their warm up and at 1.30pm, the game kicked-off.

Straight from the off, Argyle looked the better side and within the first 15 minutes, had hit the woodwork on three occasions.

It was not long before Greens took the lead when captain Stuart Richardson got the first goal of a memorable afternoon, before doubling his and his side's tally shortly before the break.

In the second-half, Argyle's complete dominance continued, with the back four barely taxed.

So it came as no surprise when they extended their lead, this time through Kenneth Newman, who lobbed the opposing 'keeper from the edge of the penalty area.

Refusing to rest of their laurels, Argyle continued to attack and soon scored a fourth when Richardson grabbed his hat-trick with a sweet strike from six yards.

After a number of substitutions, a corner from the right brought the Greens a further chance to extend their lead and they took it with aplomb, John Smith this time poking home after a goalmouth scramble.

Alonso Marshall grabbed the sixth goal before Richardson capped an memorable day for both himself and his team to put Argyle in seventh heaven.