REUBEN Reid wrote himself indelibly into Plymouth Argyle folklore by becoming the first Pilgrim to score a hat-trick against Exeter City at the Grecians’ St James Park home...

...when he netted all three Green goals in Saturday’s 3-1 Sky Bet League 2 match.

Here, in his own words, is how he stamped his name on Pilgrims’ history.

GOAL 1: 27 minutes – City 0 Argyle 1

Reuben seizes on a mis-hit shot by team-mate Bobby Reid to steer the ball past Exeter goalkeeper Christy Pym.

“If you look at the pitch, it is is a bit tricky so as [the ball]’s gone through, I’ve tried to set it.

“The ball is running away from me but because the ’keeper did not pounce on me as I thought he was going to do, he left the side of the net open. Thankfully I hit it quite well and it hit the far netting.”

GOAL 2: 57 minutes – City 1 Argyle 2

Reuben’s strike partner Lewi Alessandra draws a foul from Exeter captain Matt Oakley in the penalty area, and Reuben steps up to strike the spot-kick high to Pym’s right.

“It was a clear foul and, to be honest, I think the lad could have gone for it, as well, which probably would have helped out. 

“But we got the decision and, thankfully, I stuck it away.”

GOAL 3: 71 minutes – City 1 Argyle 3

The game’s clinching goal – which came shortly after Argyle midfielder Olly Lee had been sent off – is fired home from close range after Reuben bustles through the centre, shaking off the attentions of two defenders and goalkeeper Pym.

“We had only ten men, so we knew it was going to be backs to the wall, but we managed to catch them on the break. You always need that two-goal cushion in a football game, because anything can happen, and we were able to see the game out.

“I was confident at the time but, as I said with regard to the first goal, I tried to set the ball nicely and it was just running away from me. 

“The ’keeper managed to get hands on the ball; I might have fouled him, I think, because when you have got two hands on the ball, I shouldn’t be able to get it. 

“But the ref let it go and I kept my cool, dragged [the ball] – [the defenders] both went for the drag – and I just managed to scoop it into the net.”