Super Start for Young Greens

Argyle 10 Alset (Colombia) 1

ARGYLE'S youngsters enjoyed a great start to this year's Northern Ireland SuperCup with an emphatic victory in their opening group match at Clough, Ballymena.

Even five goals in each half did not fully emphasise Argyle's dominance over their South American opponents who were left thoroughly dispirited at the final whistle.

The writing was on the wall after just nine minutes by which time the young Pilgrims had scored twice and missed two other chances.

Dominic Osborne burst clear in the fourth minute, only to see his powerful drive parried by goalkeeper Santiago Ospina, but Mike Peck (pictured above) raced in to smash home the loose ball.

The impressive Rio Garside sent in a superb right-wing free-kick for skipper Isaac Burdon to head home Argyle's second on nine minutes before disaster struck for Alset.

Osborne raced through from the halfway line only for the 'keeper to make a great two-handed save but, unfortunately, he was 25 yards out of his goal and a red card was promptly shown.

Argyle showed no mercy, with Garside's astute pass putting in Mani Skett for a great finish from the edge of the area.

Aaron Goulty's free-kick was parried by the substitute goalkeeper for Peck to notch his second of the game before Alset full-back Juan Zarate pulled a goal back direct from a 20-yard free-kick.

Back came Argyle, with Osborne unlucky to see his effort ruled out for a foul on the 'keeper, but it was not long before Skett dispossessed his marker before squeezing the ball inside the near post to complete the first-half scoring.

Argyle head coach Kevin Nancekivell made several changes for the second half but that did not alter the pattern of the game as his side added three more goals in the first 10 minutes of the second period.

Rubin Wilson pulled the ball back for fellow substitute Kieran Rowe to fire home and Wilson then supplied two fine finishes to make it 8-1. His first was a fierce low drive as he cut in from the angle of the box, and the second came from close range when he followed up on Harry Lampier's header.

Wilson's cracking drive had come back off the crossbar before Garside deservedly notched the ninth, with Tom Harris hitting the shot of the game to bring up double figures in the final minute.

Argyle: Max Childs (Jordan Duffey half-time), Reuben Collum, Matthew Roberts (Tom Harris half-time), Oliver Tomlinson, Isaac Burdon (c, Jake Cribb 41), Mani Skett, Mike Peck (Kieran Rowe half-time), Dominic Osborne (Rubin Wilson half-time), Rio Garside, Aaron Goulty, Harry Lampier.