No Quarter Given

DEREK Adams says that the Pilgrims can be delighted with the excellent points total that they have achieved so far from the first quarter of the season...

... with a 2-1 victory over Colchester continuing their success.

Argyle are unbeaten in 13 league games, winning 11 of them, after losing their first two of the season. That run of games has given the Pilgrims a total of 35 points, and means they are four point clear at the top of Sky Bet League Two, and 11 points clear of the play-off places.

"It is an excellent points total to have," said Derek. "We have had a very strong quarter of the season and we are delighted with that."

The Pilgrims took the lead against Colchester with a left footed Craig Tanner strike 16 minutes in, but Craig Slater cancelled out Argyle's advantage with a free-kick just after half an hour. The winning goal came in the 87th minute, when Ryan Donaldson blocked a kick from Sam Walker in the Colchester net that looped over the 'keeper for the winner.

"I think for 20-30 minutes we were outstanding at times." Derek continued. "The way we passed the ball before we lost the goal, it looked like it was going to be a very good day for us. They were very defensive, organised and hard to break down. They had 11 bodies behind the ball at times.

"It was a difficult match because they set their stall out early in the game they came and played with five at the back and four in midfield with one striker up, even though they played with two but one came back in very deep. We found it difficult to break down. As soon as we scored the first goal they went to four at the back, then they changed their midfield.

"It was a game where we were well on top for that period of the game, we lose a goal and they get a bit of belief from that. To win a game in this division is very difficult but it was a good way to finish.

The game was stopped for about 11 minutes, after the referee Kevin Johnson collided with Argyle striker Jimmy Spencer. The referee was took to hospital, but there are no major concerns regarding his health.

"A player collided with him," said Derek. "And he collided with a player. It did not look too good at the time. Hopefully he is ok, but obviously he had to be taken off. The fourth official, the linesman and the assessor were very good in the situation. They updated us on what was going to happen and everything was controlled in a good way."