Under the Wire

AFTER the hectic deadline dash that was Tuesday evening, Derek Adams believes Argyle have become stronger over the course of the January transfer window.

A disappointing result against Yeovil Town was slightly offset by two pieces of business completed by the greens on January 31, with a coming and going of two players in close succession.


The arrival of Cardiff City winger Matty Kennedy was closely followed by the news that young Pilgrims forward, Louis Rooney, will be joining Hartlepool until the end of the season.


Matty has signed with the Greens on a loan deal that sees him at Home Park until the end of the current campaign. Fellow Scotsman, Derek, has described what the Green Army might expect from the 22-year-old: "He’s quick, he’s direct, and he can play on either wing," said the manager. "He’s creative and he’s got good experience of playing in the Championship a number of times for Cardiff.


“He’s a young lad who’s very sure of his ability. He’s Scottish, he’s got a bit about him, and he’ll fit well with the squad.


“He gives us an outlet, he’s got pace. He offers us something else. He can play the ball to feet and he can take people on, or you can play it behind and he’ll get on the end of it. He’s a good crosser of the ball, he’ll find space for himself and create chances.”


With Louis Rooney heading up north, albeit only for a few months, Derek has explained why it is likely to be a positive move for the Northern Ireland U-21 international.


“We had tried to get Louis out on loan during the transfer window," said Derek. "It only happened after the game and I was told that there was a possibility of him going to Hartlepool.


“It’s about giving Louis an opportunity to get 10 to 15 game starts between now and the end of the season, and to give him experience of playing League Two football. I wasn’t going to be able to give him that opportunity here, and he’ll go to Hartlepool and get that starting time he obviously feels he deserves.


“He was aware of the interest in Hartlepool for the last week, but it wasn’t concrete until after the game, so he had been able to speak with his mum and dad and he knew what was happening.”