Academy Report | Argyle 1 Swansea City 0

Sync Fixtures

Argyle's youngsters ended their involvement in the Under-18 Professional Development Cup, but went out in style, inflicting a first defeat on previously unbeaten Swansea City.

This was a very young Argyle side, due to injuries and call-ups to the first team, but Joe Hatch's first half goal was enough to see them hold on to a notable victory against their Category Two opponents.

The game had a high tempo, and Argyle were the first to go close with Lewis Colwell's free-kick going just wide of the Swans’ goal on 23 minutes.

Swansea were looking equally dangerous and only a great clearance by Cole Gibbings prevented the Welsh side from scoring.

Back came the young Greens with Hatch's long-range effort forcing a fine save from the visiting goalkeeper, but it was only a short reprieve for the Swans as Argyle took a 38th minute lead when Hatch scored with a great header.

Argyle finished the half strongly with Jack Matthews seeing his effort pushed wide for a corner, from which Hatch put in another great header only to see the Swans custodian once again make a great save.

The second half continued in the same vein, Kieran Edworthy seeing two shots saved either of when Henry Donovan's great pass found Hatch, who shot narrowly wide.

Swansea increased the pressure on Argyle as the game entered the final quarter, but the home side defended really well to hold on to their slender lead.

The result means Argyle finish the group stage, which also included Exeter City and Bristol City, with three points, and do not qualify. However, this was an excellent result against strong opposition, to give the Greens some momentum going into Wednesday's rearranged FA Youth Cup tie. 

Argyle: Zak Baker, Jensen Ireland, Joel Sullivan, Cole Fisher, Cole Gibbings, Jack Matthews, Lewis Colwell, Kieran Edworthy, Henry Donovan, Joe Hatch, Jack Endacott. Substitutes not used: Jadore Lawson, Dan Holman, Teagan Finn, Gene Price, Will Sullivan.

World Cup at Home Park