Argyle 2
Waine 26, 38

Leyton Orient 0

A Ben Waine brace in a dominant first half proved enough for Argyle to overcome Leyton Orient in the opening round of the Carabao Cup at Home Park.

The New Zealand international opened the scoring on 26 minutes after a defensive error from the visitors and his second was forced over the line from close-range.

The Pilgrim intensity dropped down a couple of notches after the break but there was never any huge danger of the lead being relinquished.

Argyle manager Steven Schumacher handed full debuts to Julio Pleguezuelo and new loan signing Luke Cundle, while youngster Freddie Issaka joined a much-changed starting line-up from the weekend win over Huddersfield in the Championship.

Orient lost 1-0 at Charlton on Saturday and they were soon under pressure at Home Park, Finn Azaz executing a delightful pass into the path of Tyreik Wright, who struck into the side-netting from a tight angle.

Cundle gave an early glimpse of his class with a threaded pass to Waine but the move was interrupted by a robust challenge from Omar Beckles.

Argyle’s dominance was showcased by twice getting the ball in the net, although the assistant’s flag intervened on both occasions.

The O’s enjoyed their best moment on 19 minutes, when a corner was deflected on to the far post. Beckles seized on the rebound and rattled the Argyle crossbar for a massive reprieve. Joe Pigott then fired wide in a bright spell for the visitors.

The Greens replied with the opening goal of the night, Waine pouncing on a sloppy backpass to race clear and steer a confident finish beyond an exposed Sam Howes. Issaka almost doubled the lead two minutes later, firing in a low effort that was well saved by Howes.

Ethan Galbraith provided a little reminder of the Orient threat with a searing volley just over Callum Burton’s bar but Argyle’s Kiwi forward was enjoying a special night, as Waine deflected in a cross from Issaka after magical approach play by Finn Azaz and Wright.

The Greens were purring in the closing stages of the first period, Issaka tormenting the Orient defence with another positive run and pass to the lively Wright, who was thwarted by the busy Howes.

Adam Randell replaced Kaine Kesler-Hatden shortly after the restart but Orient were the side enjoying another decent spell, Theo Archibald and Jordan Brown both forcing Burton into routine saves.

Azaz and Cundle were withdrawn for Callum Wright and teenager Cale Roberts on the hour. A timely interception from Randell then prevented substitute Jayden Sweeney loosing off a shot for the visitors.

Argyle’s tempo was not the same in the second half but the defence remained largely unruffled, with a scuttling effort from Idris El Mizouni comfortably held by Burton, as Ryan Hardie replaced Issaka for the final 15 minutes.

Hardie almost had a great chance within seconds but he strayed inches offside following a delicious move through the lines involving Saxon Earley and Lewis Warrington. At the other end, Orient continued to prod and probe, but were unable to find any gaps in the Pilgrim backline.

Jordan Houghton for Waine was the next Argyle switch before the now traditional eight minutes of stoppage time. Thankfully, the Greens continued to calmly pass the ball and Roberts won a free-kick in a dangerous position 22 yards from goal.

Hardie snatched the responsibility and his well-struck effort was deflected over by the wall. The corner ricocheted into the path of Julio Pleguezuelo but his stabbed attempt was always too high to threaten Howes.

Job done for Argyle and a place in round two.

Argyle: 25 Callum Burton; 5 Julio Pleguezuelo, 7 Matt Butcher, 16 Lewis Warrington, 18 Finn Azaz (34 Caleb Roberts 58), 19 Tyreik Wright, 23 Ben Waine (4 Jordan Houghton 88), 24 Saxon Earley, 28 Luke Cundle (11 Callum Wright 58), 29 Kaine Kesler-Hayden (20 Adam Randell 47), 35 Freddie Issaka (9 Ryan Hardie 76). Substitutes (not used): 21 Conor Hazard (gk), 2 Bali Mumba, 10 Morgan Whittaker, 17 Lewis Gibson.

Booked: Cundle 48

Leyton Orient: 13 Sam Howes; 2 Tom James, 5 Dan Happe (3 Jayden Sweeney 60), 8 Jordan Brown, 9 Joe Pigott (29 Zech Obiero 71), 10 Ruel Sotiriou (15 Idris El Mizouni 66), 14 George Moncur (34 Charlie Pegrum 66), 19 Omar Beckles, 22 Ethan Galbraith (25 Harrison Sodje 85), 24 Jordan Graham (11 Theo Archibald H-T), 32 Rob Hunt. Substitutes (not used): 1 Sol Brynn (gk).

Booked: Brown 22, Pigott 44, Obiero 90, Sodje 90+7

Referee: Sunny Singh Gill

Attendance: 10,324 (147 away)