Charlton Athletic 5 
Rak-Sakyi 11 
Stockley pen 41 
Clare 45 
Kirk 76 
Leaburn 84 

Argyle 1 
Whittaker 71 

Argyle’s first trip to the capital this season proved to be a night to forget, as the ten-man Greens went down to a 5-1 defeat. 

Debutant Jeserun Rak-Sakyo scored early for the hosts, the task got harder when Jayden Stockley added a penalty four minutes before the break, James Wilson dismissed for a handball in the process, and it became impossible when Sean Clare found the top corner on the half-time whistle. 

Morgan Whittaker provided some cheer with a super solo effort but the Addicks delivered late pain with strikes from Charlie Kirk and Miles Leaburn. 

Argyle manager Steven Schumacher made one change from the weekend win over Peterborough, handing Whittaker his first league start for the Greens, with Danny Mayor dropping to the bench. 

The Addicks lost 1-0 at Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday, former Pilgrim loanee Tyreeq Bakinson notching for the Owls, and they tasted some Pilgrim penetration inside the first minute, Finn Azaz firing inches over after good approach work from Ryan Hardie. 

Charlton responded with the opening goal on 11 minutes. Stockley latched on to a floating delivery and headed back across goal, saved well by Mike Cooper, but Rak-Sakyi was in the right place for a debut goal on the rebound. 

Buoyed by the goal, Charlton conjured a lovely move that released Kirk on the left for an effort curled wide of the near post.  

The opening half-hour was a struggle for Argyle to find their rhythm but the positive side was a quashing of Charlton’s momentum, and the pattern changed with a skidding strike from Adam Randell, after bright work by Bali Mumba, forcing Jojo Wollacott into a full-stretched save low to his right. 

Stockley replied with a header straight into the arms of Cooper from a good position and a dazzling run from Rak-Sakyi opened the Argyle defence but, thankfully, his final shot was lifted too high. 

A sharp move down the right reminded the hosts of the Argyle threat, Joe Edwards lofting a pass into the run of Whittaker and his attempt from a tight angle was palmed wide by Wollacott. 

Argyle’s evening took a massive downturn on 40 minutes, when a deep cross picked out Stockley at the far post for a volley. A rogue hand from James Wilson led to the inevitable penalty and a red card for the Pilgrim defender. Stockley doubled the pain with a confident penalty into the bottom right corner.  

There was, however, no Pilgrim culpability in the third, Clare rifling a brilliant 25-yard strike into the top corner, and Argyle had a massive second-half mountain to climb. 

Schumacher turned to his bench at the interval, introducing Matt Butcher, Brendan Galloway and Niall Ennis for Randell, Mumba and Hardie. Luke Jephcott was the next Pilgrim switch on 55 minutes but, in truth, it was an onerous task for the Greens on a tough night in London. 

The Addicks also made a change, Conor McGrandles replacing Clare and he quickly forcing a decent near-post block from the legs of Cooper. 

Understandably, there was a general sense of acceptance from both team in the second period, Argyle remaining compact and preparing for battles ahead, while Charlton were clearly happy with their lot. 

Ennis tried to change that dynamic with a bright run and cross from the left to Jephcott at the far post but his header was comfortable for Wollacott. 

The marvellous Green Army were given the lift they deserved 20 minutes from time, Whittaker brilliantly weaving his way through the home defence and firing a tremendous low finish into the bottom corner from 20 yards. 

Jack Payne fizzed a low cross for Kirk to hit the side-netting as Charlton sought to restore their control of the evening, and they achieved that moments later, Kirk finding his range for a steered shot from the left into the bottom corner. 

The Addicks found time for a painful fifth, Leaburn latching on to a loose ball for a tidy finish into the far corner and Argyle thoughts quickly turn to Forest Green on Saturday. 

Charlton: 1 Jojo Wollacott; 4 George Dobson, 5 Sam Lavelle, 6 Eoghan O’Connell (4 Ryan Inniss 77), 9 Jayden Stockley (capt), 10 Albie Morgan, 14 Charlie Kirk, 17 Jesurun Rak-Sakyi (33 Miles Leaburn 64), 21 Scott Fraser (19 Jack Payne 64), 28 Sean Clare (12 Conor McGrandles 58), 29 Charles Clayden. Substitutes (not used): 13 Craig MacGillivray (gk), 2 Steven Sessegnon, 23 Corey Blackett-Taylor. 


Argyle: 1 Mike Cooper; 5 James Wilson, 6 Dan Scarr, 3 Macaulay Gillesphey; 8 Joe Edwards (capt) (21 Nigel Lonwijk 84), 4 Jordan Houghton, 20 Adam Randell (7 Matt Butcher H-T), 17 Bali Mumba (22 Brendan Galloway H-T); 18 Finn Azaz (31 Luke Jephcott 55), 9 Ryan Hardie (11 Niall Ennis H-T), 19 Morgan Whittaker. Substitutes (not used): 25 Callum Burton (gk), 10 Danny Mayor. 


Sent-off: Wilson 40  

Attendance: 12,392 (1.160 away)  

Referee: Sam Purkiss