Ten Minutes Of Madness

ARGYLE boss John Sheridan believes that “ten minutes of madness” cost Plymouth Argyle the first Devon Derby of the season against Exeter City.

Argyle had levelled the game on 69 minutes through Luke Young’s terrific free-kick, having fallen behind to an Arron Davies goal ten minutes into the second half. For fifteen minutes after the goal , the Pilgrims terrorised City, but got caught on the break when former Pilgrim Alan Gow put Exeter back in front. An injury-time goal by Scot Bennett rounded off the win for the Grecians.

Sheridan declared himself pleased by his team’s performance up until Gow’s goal, and expressed his frustration with how Argyle closed out the game.

“The result is very hard to take,” he said. “I thought we played well. We were well in the game, throughout the game.

“They get the first goal, we equalise with a great goal from Youngy, and I’m thinking we’re the team that’s going on to win it. We looked very confident; we were passing it; and we were causing them problems.

“Then we just shoot ourselves in the foot. For the last five or ten minutes, we were all over the place. It was self-destruction, because it’s not a 3-1 game.

“I was very disappointed with the last ten minutes. Ten minutes of madness. The decisions we made on the pitch were very poor. At 2-1 and with time to go, you still keep your shape and your discipline –there’s always a chance you might get an opportunity.

“For 80 minutes, I thought we put in a really good performance, but at the end of the day we’ve lost again and that’s all I look at.

“The second goal came out of the blue. It’s a clearance from us, kicking it against our own player, which we did it a few times. It’s fell nicely and the lad’s put it in the top corner. That hit us hard. Then they could have scored four or five, the way we finished.”

After an uneventful first half, Exeter started the second half the brighter and nudged in front, but Sheridan’s response – to bring on Reuben Reid and Young – was telling. The pair were extremely effective in turning the tide Argyle’s way, with Young curling home after Marvin Morgan had been felled on the edge of the box.

Of Young, Sherdian said: “He came on and he passed the ball. I thought Reuben made a difference when he came on, too.

“Even before the subs came on, I thought we were in the game. There was nothing between the teams. I was comfortable.

“We’ve had some really good possession of the ball but we just spoil it by picking the wrong option. A simple thing like a cross will go straight into the keeper’s hands and they counter attack and we end up deep in our half. We do silly things at the wrong time.”