Tuesday 16th November 2021
Plymouth Argyle FC
Sheffield Wednesday FC
- Days
- Hrs
- Mins
- Secs
Full Time - 98
Home Park
Stream Live Now
Match Details

Argyle take on Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday night for a place in round two of the Emirates FA Cup.

The pair played out a goalless draw in the original fixture at Hillsborough in front of the ITV cameras, with the winner of this tie playing either Rochdale AFC or Notts County in the next round.

Tuesday’s game will be the third meeting between the sides this season, with Argyle coming out 3-0 winners when they played at Home Park in September.

The draw in Yorkshire was just the third time this season that the Greens have failed to score in a game and they responded to the shut out with a 4-1 win over Accrington Stanley in Sky Bet League One on Saturday.

Jordan Houghton grabbed his first goal since returning to the club, while an own goal and goals from Ryan Broom and Ryan Hardie gave the Pilgrims a comfortable win.

The victory took Argyle back to the top of the Sky Bet League One table and extended their current unbeaten run in all competitions to seven matches.

The Pilgrims go into the game having lost just one of their 11 matches at Home Park this season and have made it past the first-round stage of the cup on each of the last five occasions.

Speaking ahead of the game Ryan Lowe said, “We know the draw if we beat Sheffield Wednesday.

“People will say that there is a backlog of fixtures and I know that, but we have players coming back from injury and if we can get past Sheffield Wednesday, it would be a great opportunity for some of them being used.

“The more games of football you can play, and win, is very important.”

The visitors also bounced back from the 0-0 draw with a win, beating Harrogate Town 4-0 in the Papa John’s Trophy, they followed that up with a 1-1 draw at home to Gillingham in the league, with Florian Kamberi getting a second half equaliser.

In all, the three times winners of the Emirates FA Cup are unbeaten in ten games, last losing to Oxford United at the beginning of October.

They have lost just two away matches since the start of the season and have drawn their last three.

Wednesday have made it to round four at the least, on each of the least four seasons, losing out to Premier League opposition on each occasion.

The Greens are unbeaten against the Owls since 2010, winning the last two matches at Home Park.


Both Luke Jephcott and Brendan Galloway will be unavailable due to being on international duty, while Danny Mayor will be assessed after missing the Accrington game due to illness.

Other than that, Argyle have no fresh injury concerns ahead of the game.

Wednesday have a few defensive problems with Dominic Iorfa, Lewis Gibson and Sam Hutchinson still absent.

Josh Windass has returned to full training though and could be involved for the first time this season.

Goalkeeper Bailey Peacock-Farrell is away on international duty with Northern Ireland.


Tickets for the tie are still available and can be bought online via www.argyletickets.com, by calling 01752907700 or by visiting the Home Park Ticket Office.


Due to competition regulations we are unable to stream the game, however we will have audio commentary provided by Rob McNichol and Ian Stonebridge on Argyle TV. Details on how to buy the pass can be found here.

third kit banner


Jordan Houghton against Sheffield Wednesday

Argyle 3
Garrick 20, 67
Hardie 36

Sheffield Wednesday 0

A fine Jordon Garrick double, either side of Ryan Hardie’s second goal in as many games, saw Argyle cruise beyond Sheffield Wednesday and into the second round of the Emirates FA Cup.

After a tentative opening, the Greens clicked into gear to secure a repeat of their 3-0 Sky Bet League One victory over the Owls back in September, setting up a televised second round tie away at Sky Bet League Two side Rochdale.

Argyle manager Ryan Lowe underlined the importance of progression in the competition by selecting the same side that put four past Accrington Stanley a few days earlier. A strong starting XI was further bolstered by the return to the extended bench for senior figures Danny Mayor and George Cooper.

Wednesday, meanwhile, made three changes from their 1-1 draw with Gillingham at the weekend, with Jaden Brown, Dennis Adeniran and Saido Berahino coming into the side in place of Marvin Johnson, Theo Corbeanu and Olamide Shodipo.

Argyle brushed the Owls off when the two sides met at Home Park in league action earlier this season, but Darren Moore’s side have certainly made progress since then, arriving at Home Park 10 games unbeaten, and their confidence was evident as they generated the first clear opportunity of the game.

A measured right-wing ball in behind searched for Berahino, but Dan Scarr’s crucial touch took it away from him. Reacting quickest, Florian Kamberi lashed a searing volley at goal from 10 yards, but Mike Cooper stood his ground to pull off a tremendous reflex save.

The Greens hit back through the unlikeliest of sources, as defender James Wilson made a marauding run unchecked into enemy territory, before blasting goalwards from the edge of the area, but his effort was blocked.

Kamberi’s initial chance sparked a flurry of activity after a tentative opening, and Brown was next to try his luck for Wednesday, firing towards the far corner from the edge of the area, with Scarr bravely putting his head in to deflect it wide.

Wednesday had matched the Greens for the opening stages of the cup clash at Home Park, but their notable attacking intent left them susceptible to the Pilgrims’ pace on the break.

Having been forced back by the Argyle defensive line’s relentless pressing, Brown was dispossessed by Panutche Camara, who sent Hardie clear on the half-way line.

Having drawn two defenders to his run, Hardie fed Camara in the right channel, and the tireless midfielder’s clipped centre found Garrick unmarked on the edge of the area. With Owls defenders trailing in his wake, the Swansea City loanee took a touch to set himself, before smashing an unstoppable effort beyond Joe Wildsmith and into the far corner.

From another devastating breakaway, Argyle nearly had their second. Camara evaded a full-blooded lunge from Lewis Wing to surge towards the half-way line, before laying on for Garrick to race clear. The goalscorer slotted Conor Grant into the area with a through ball, but the wing-back’s first time drive was palmed away by Wildsmith.

Despite losing possession for Argyle’s opener, the majority of Wednesday’s play had come through left wing-back Brown, and he came closer than anyone to restoring parity on the half hour, with his low cross from the left skipping across the face of goal, requiring Cooper to claw away at the far post, with Wilson reacting quickest to hack it away.

Argyle doubled their advantage minutes later. Once again, the visitors were robbed of possession on the edge of their own area, and Camara fed Hardie inside the box. The striker’s exquisite footwork separated him from his marker, and he slotted coolly beyond the onrushing Wildsmith before celebrating gleefully in front of Zoo Corner.

Tails up and purring, Grant fired a trademark howitzer at goal from range almost from the restart, but Wildsmith was equal to it.

Having seemingly broken Wednesday’s resistance, the Greens nearly offered the Owls a route back into the tie, with Barry Bannan latching onto a loose pass on the edge of the Argyle box. He fed Kamberi, who saw another half-chance go by as his deflected effort sailed over Cooper’s crossbar.

The introduction of tricky Theo Corbeanu shortly after the interval posed a different problem the Argyle defence, but, in the end, it was the pace of Garrick that put the game beyond any reasonable doubt.

Chasing Macaulay Gillesphey’s measured ball into the channel, the forward got the better of the backline. Seeing no other option, Wildsmith raced off his line to grab the ball, only to carry it outside of the area with his momentum.

In a moment’s panic, he relinquished the ball, and Garrick pounced before measuring his strike beyond the despairing leap of Chey Dunkley on the goalline. While Argyle players lapped up the atmosphere in front of a raucous Devonport End, Wildsmith received a booking from referee Christopher Sarginson for handling outside the box.

It nearly got worse for Wildsmith, whose blushes were spared after dropping the ball in front of substitute Kieran Agard for a simple tap-in following a corner, only for the referee to mercifully award the ‘keeper a free-kick.

Argyle (3-5-2): 1 Mike Cooper (gk); 5 James Wilson, 6 Dan Scarr, 3 Macaulay Gillesphey; 8 Joe Edwards (capt), 28 Panutche Camara, 4 Jordan Houghton (20 Adam Randell 84), 7 Ryan Broom (10 Danny Mayor 76), 15 Conor Grant; 9 Ryan Hardie, 14 Jordon Garrick (18 Kieran Agard 71). Substitutes (not used): 25 Callum Burton (gk), 27 Ryan Law, 32 George Cooper, 37 Brandon Pursall, 42 Rhys Shirley, 44 Will Jenkins-Davies.


Sheffield Wednesday: 28 Joe Wildsmith (gk), 2 Liam Palmer, 3 Jaden Brown, 8 Dennis Adeniran (40 Sylla Sow 28), 10 Barry Bannan (capt) (21 Massimo Luongo 75), 13 Callum Paterson, 17 Fisayo Dele-Bashiru, 20 Florian Kamberi (7 Olamide Shodipo 75), 22 Chey Dunkley, 24 Saido Berahino (23 Theo Corbeanu 59), 26 Lewis Wing. Subsitutes (not used): 1 Bailey Peacock-Farrell (gk), 14 George Byers.

Booked: Brown 56, Wildsmith 67

Attendance: 11,094 (1,059 away)

Referee: Chris Sarginson

Third kit